The commercial vehicle industry in Europe – ACEA Commercial Vehicle Manifesto 2019-2024
Efficient transport is the backbone of Europe’s economy, growth and competitiveness. Indeed, the European Union would literally come to a stop without trucks, buses or vans.
Although essential to our prosperity and well-being, the commercial vehicle industry in Europe – and road transport in general – is facing several fundamental challenges today:
- Demand for the transport of goods and people is expected to grow substantially in the years to come.
- The Paris Agreement has set ambitious climate goals, which the commercial vehicle industry is committed to contributing to.
- There is a growing diversity of alternative fuels and powertrains, but a nearly complete absence of charging and refuelling points suitable for commercial vehicles.
- Pollutant emissions need to be further reduced.
- Automation and digitalisation are set to change the way we transport goods and people.
- The transport sector is facing a shortage of skilled drivers.
- Transport operators are struggling with low operating margins.
This 2019-2024 ACEA Commercial Vehicle Manifesto complements ACEA’s ‘The future of the EU auto industry’ manifesto by highlighting the importance of the three main commercial vehicle segments: trucks, buses and vans.
In addition, it also puts forward commercial vehicle-specific policy recommendations for the newly-elected Members of the European Parliament and the European Commission.
Reproduction of the content of this document is not permitted without the prior written consent of ACEA. Whenever reproduction is permitted, ACEA shall be referred to as source of the information. Quoting or referring to this document is permitted provided ACEA is referred to as the source of the information.