Thomas Sedran new Chair of ACEA’s Light Commercial Vehicle Committee
Brussels, 8 October 2019 – The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) has appointed a new Chairman for its Light Commercial Vehicle General Managers’ Committee: Thomas Sedran, who is also Chairman of the Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Board of Management.
Light commercial vehicles (LCVs), better known as vans, represent a vital link in Europe’s logistics chain, enabling the ‘last mile’ delivery of goods in urban areas for example. Largely used by SMEs as business tools, vans help businesses to thrive. LCVs also enable a broad range of other activities including construction, postal services, ambulances, policing and rescue operations.
“Key priorities for the coming years are providing new transport solutions and introducing increasing levels of automation,” stated Dr Sedran following his appointment. “Also high on ACEA’s agenda is the need to further reduce CO2 emissions from road transport in order to help achieve climate targets.”
The CEOs of all European manufacturers of light commercial vehicles sit on ACEA’s Light Commercial Vehicle General Managers’ Committee. Dr Sedran takes over the role from Volker Mornhinweg of Mercedes-Benz Vans with immediate effect.
About Thomas Sedran
- Thomas Sedran has been Chairman of the Board of Management for Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles since September 2018.
- Dr Sedran holds a PhD in economics. He worked as a management consultant from 1988 to 2012, holding responsibility on a global level for the Automotive Competence Center at Roland Berger Strategy Consultants until 2006. He then became managing director of the automotive industry section at management consultant AlixPartners in Munich.
- Dr Sedran became the member of the Management Board of Adam Opel AG in charge of strategy and operations and interim CEO in 2012, and assumed responsibility for the Chevrolet and Cadillac brands in Europe as President and Managing Director in July 2013.
- Volkswagen appointed him Senior Vice President Group Strategy in 2015. He was named General Secretary of Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft in 2017.
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) is the Brussels-based trade association of the 15 major car, van, truck and bus producers in Europe.
- The ACEA commercial vehicle members are DAF Trucks, Daimler Trucks, Ford Trucks, IVECO, MAN Truck & Bus, Scania, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, and Volvo Group.
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/.
- Contact: Cara McLaughlin, Communications Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, +32 485 88 66 47.
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 14.6 million Europeans work in the auto industry (directly and indirectly), accounting for 6.7% of all EU jobs.
- 11.5% of EU manufacturing jobs – some 3.7 million – are in the automotive sector.
- Motor vehicles are responsible for €398.4 billion of tax revenue for governments across key European markets.
- The automobile industry generates a trade surplus of €74 billion for the EU.
- The turnover generated by the auto industry represents more than 8% of the EU’s GDP.
- Investing €62 billion in R&D annually, the automotive sector is Europe’s largest private contributor to innovation, accounting for 33% of total EU spending.