New data show reduced environmental impact of vehicle production
Hanover, 18 September 2012 – On the advent of the International Motor Show in Hanover, the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) today released the fourth edition of its popular Pocket Guide, which contains the most commonly sought after figures, tables and statistics pertaining to the European and global automobile industries.
This 2012 edition contains new data on resource-efficient production for cars and light commercial vehicles, showing how European manufacturers have advanced in reducing the environmental impact of vehicle production in recent years, using less water and energy, and producing less CO2 and waste. Unit production uses nearly a fifth less water than it did in 2005, total energy usage is down 3.4% despite greater vehicle complexity, and total CO2 emissions have been reduced by a tenth. The emissions of volatile organic compounds, for instance from paintshops, have been drastically reduced by 37.5% in total and by around a third per unit. Finally, the total amount of waste generated by the manufacturing of vehicles went down 4.7%. In addition to this new information, the Guide also includes the latest key figures on employment and trade, as well as vehicle production, registration, use and taxation. The principle of the Pocket Guide is to serve as the definitive picture of the European automotive landscape today. Other facts and figures contained in the pocket guide include: · The automotive industry creates 11.6m direct and indirect jobs in the EU
- ACEA members alone invest over €26 billion in R&D every year
- They operate 177 vehicle assembly plants in 16 EU Member States
- Vehicle taxes generated over €375 billion in government revenues
- In 2011, 66% of new cars emitted less than 140 grammes of CO2 per kilometre, and than half of those less than 120 grammes
- New in this edition is the inclusion of information about the trend in CO2 emissions from new cars by country, as well as CO2 and electric vehicle taxation
Notes for editors
The Pocket Guide is freely available online in PDF format and is also available in a printed copy upon request to the ACEA Communications Department.
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) represents the 14 major Europe-based car, van, truck and bus makers: BMW Group, DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ferrari, Ford of Europe, Honda Motor Europe, Hyundai Motor Europe, Iveco Group, JLR, Mercedes-Benz, Renault Group, Toyota Motor Europe, Volkswagen Group, and Volvo Group
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/
- Cara McLaughlin, Communications Director, email@example.com, +32 485 88 66 47
- Ben Kennard, Content Editor and Press Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, +32 2 738 73 17
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 12.9 million Europeans work in the automotive sector
- 8.3% of all manufacturing jobs in the EU
- €392.2 billion in tax revenue for European governments
- €101.9 billion trade surplus for the European Union
- Over 7% of EU GDP generated by the auto industry
- €59.1 billion in R&D spending annually, 31% of EU total