Marchionne to lead European automobile association for second term
Brussels, 7 December 2012 —The Board of Directors of the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) today elected Sergio Marchionne, CEO of Fiat S.p.A., as the association’s President for 2013. This will be his second consecutive term heading the association.
One of the highest priorities for ACEA next year will be to continue to push for a meaningful and supportive EU-wide industrial policy. In this context, ACEA will closely follow the process launched with CARS 2020 in order to ensure that the initiatives announced by the European Commission in this action plan are actually followed through. Level playing fields must be the norm in international trade relations. In 2013, ACEA will therefore continue to make the case for fair and balanced trade agreements. Also high on the agenda for ACEA next year will be the theme of sustainable mobility.
Notes for editors
About Sergio Marchionne
Sergio Marchionne is CEO of FIAT S.p.A., Chairman and CEO of FIAT Group Automobiles S.p.A., Chairman and CEO of Chrysler Group LLC, as well as Chairman of FIAT Industrial S.p.A. Born in Chieti, Italy, he has dual Canadian and Italian citizenship. He has been a member of the Board of FIAT S.p.A. since May 2003 and was appointed Chief Executive Officer in June 2004. He became CEO of Chrysler Group LLC in June 2009, as well as Chairman in September 2011. Mr Marchionne holds a Bachelor of Arts with a major in Philosophy and a Bachelor of Law from the University of Toronto, as well as a Masters in Business Administration and a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Windsor (Canada). Mr Marchionne is a barrister, solicitor and chartered accountant.
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) represents the 14 major Europe-based car, van, truck and bus makers: BMW Group, DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ferrari, Ford of Europe, Honda Motor Europe, Hyundai Motor Europe, Iveco Group, JLR, Mercedes-Benz, Renault Group, Toyota Motor Europe, Volkswagen Group, and Volvo Group.
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/.
- Contact: Cara McLaughlin, Communications Director, email@example.com, +32 485 88 66 47.
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 13.0 million Europeans work in the automotive sector
- 11.5% of all manufacturing jobs in the EU
- €374.6 billion in tax revenue for European governments
- €101.9 billion trade surplus for the European Union
- Over 7% of EU GDP generated by the auto industry
- €59.1 billion in R&D spending annually, 31% of EU total