€54 billion spent on R&D by EU auto sector per year, latest data show
Brussels, 8 June 2018 – According to the latest data, annual EU investment into R&D by the automobile and parts sector has risen by 7.4% to reach an all-time high of €53.8 billion.
This, and many other facts about the industry, were compiled by the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) in its ‘Automobile Industry Pocket Guide’, published on the occasion of the association’s Annual General Meeting earlier this week.
This contribution makes the automobile and parts sector the EU’s number one investor in R&D – ahead of pharma and tech. It is responsible for 27% of the region’s total R&D spending.
Compared to other world regions, the EU auto sector by far leads the way in terms of R&D investment. Japan comes second in the global ranking with an investment of €29.8 billion per year, followed by the US with €18.5 billion. In fourth place comes China with €5.4 billion, or just one tenth of the EU’s annual spending.
In addition, over 8,700 automotive patents were granted by the European Patent Office last year.
“This level of investment into innovation shows how serious we are about further decarbonising and digitalising transport, thereby supporting the EU’s policy aims,” underlined ACEA Secretary General, Erik Jonnaert.
Other key figures contained in the new Pocket Guide include:
- 13.3 million people – or 6.1% of the EU employed population – work directly and indirectly in the sector.
- The 3.4 million jobs in automotive manufacturing represent over 11% of total EU manufacturing employment.
- Motor vehicles account for some €413 billion in tax contributions in the EU15 alone – almost three times the total EU budget.
- The automobile industry exported 5.9 million motor vehicles in 2017, generating a trade surplus of €90.3 billion for the EU.
Notes for editors
- The 2018-2019 edition of ACEA’s ‘Automobile Industry Pocket Guide’ can be found online here: http://www.acea.be/publications/article/acea-pocket-guide.
- The data on R&D investment by industry and region come from the EU Industrial R&D Investment Scoreboard (European Commission, JRC/RTD).
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) represents the 14 major Europe-based car, van, truck and bus makers: BMW Group, DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ferrari, Ford of Europe, Honda Motor Europe, Hyundai Motor Europe, Iveco Group, JLR, Mercedes-Benz, Renault Group, Toyota Motor Europe, Volkswagen Group, and Volvo Group.
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/.
- Cara McLaughlin, Communications Director, email@example.com, +32 485 88 66 47
- Ben Kennard, Content Editor and Press Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, +32 487 39 21 82
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!