Dieter Zetsche elected ACEA President for 2016
Brussels, 8 December 2015 – Last week, the Board of Directors of the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) elected Dieter Zetsche, CEO of Daimler, as its President for 2016.
Speaking after his election, Dr Zetsche said: “I am particularly honoured to lead ACEA next year, as 2016 marks the association’s 25th anniversary. This will be an opportunity to build on the progress made by our industry over the past two and a half decades, and to tackle future innovation and challenges.”
“Key priorities in the coming years include decarbonising road transport, improving air quality, and paving the way for connected and autonomous vehicles – which are all an important part of our response to meeting tomorrow’s transportation needs,” Zetsche explained.
ACEA will also continue to contribute constructively to the on-going process to update and strengthen testing requirements for exhaust pollutant as well as CO2 emissions.
Dr Zetsche will take over the reins from Carlos Ghosn, CEO of Renault Group.
ACEA’s President is elected for a year-long term, once renewable, from the CEOs, Presidents or Chairmen of its member companies.
Notes for editors
Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler AG, Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars
Dieter Zetsche has been a member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG since 16 December 1998, and Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler AG since 1 January 2006. He is also Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars Division.
Dr Zetsche was born in Istanbul, Turkey, on 5 May 1953. After attending school in Frankfurt and obtaining the Abitur (university entrance examination), he studied electrical engineering from 1971 to 1976 at the University of Karlsruhe and graduated as an engineer. He joined the research department of the then Daimler-Benz AG in 1976. Dr Zetsche completed a doctorate in engineering in 1982 at the University of Paderborn.
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) represents the 14 major Europe-based car, van, truck and bus makers: BMW Group, DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ferrari, Ford of Europe, Honda Motor Europe, Hyundai Motor Europe, Iveco Group, Jaguar Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Renault Group, Toyota Motor Europe, Volkswagen Group, and Volvo Group.
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/.
- Contact: Cara McLaughlin, Communications Director, email@example.com, +32 485 88 66 47.
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 13.0 million Europeans work in the automotive sector
- 11.5% of all manufacturing jobs in the EU
- €374.6 billion in tax revenue for European governments
- €79.5 billion trade surplus for the European Union
- Almost 8% of EU GDP generated by the auto industry
- €58.8 billion in R&D spending annually, 32% of EU total