European truck manufacturers contribute to developing sustainable transport in China
European commercial vehicles manufacturers and Chinese legislators step up their cooperation in a shared effort to enhance the efficiency and the sustainability of the transport sector in China.
European and Chinese executives and technical experts meet October 12th in Beijing at the Sino-Europe Commercial Vehicle Technology and Regulation Forum, the first-ever high-level forum of its kind. The conference is co-organised by the China National Technical Committee for Automotive Standardization (NTCAS) and the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) and will be followed up by several meetings on working level in the coming year.
“The European commercial vehicle manufacturers have set the international standards for truck safety, and the environmental performance of their vehicles often surpasses the strictest limit values”, says ACEA Secretary-General Ivan Hodac. “Developing a partnership with the Chinese is a matter of mutual interest and we very much appreciate the opportunity to intensify both dialogue with legislators and cooperation at a business level.”
China currently reflects comprehensively on how to improve the safety standards, the environmental performance and the efficiency of its logistics sector, a key component of the fast-growing Chinese economy. Topics to be addressed at the forum include design and manufacturing issues for commercial vehicles, the eyed reinforcement of safety inspections and type-approval procedures, and the use of information technology to improve logistics and the use of transport capacity.
The participants in the forum will compose a roadmap of NTCAS standardisation work ahead for commercial vehicles in China, comprising new standards to be formulated and existing standards to be upgraded. The European participants will share their experience with the European regulatory framework and explain the importance of harmonised UN/ECE standards. A technical workshop on braking standards for commercial vehicles will be convened in parallel.
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) is the Brussels-based trade association of the 14 major car, van, truck and bus producers in Europe.
- The ACEA commercial vehicle members are DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ford Trucks, Iveco Group, MAN Truck & Bus, Scania, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, and Volvo Group.
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/.
- Contact: Cara McLaughlin, Communications Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, +32 485 88 66 47.
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 13.0 million Europeans work in the automotive sector
- 11.5% of all manufacturing jobs in the EU
- €374.6 billion in tax revenue for European governments
- €79.5 billion trade surplus for the European Union
- Almost 8% of EU GDP generated by the auto industry
- €58.8 billion in R&D spending annually, 32% of EU total