Car data: automakers welcome European Commission’s focus on safe and secure access
Brussels, 17 May 2018 – The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) is pleased to see that the European Commission is giving priority to ensuring safe and secure access to vehicle data in the third EU Mobility Package that was presented today.
In its new Communication ‘On the Road to Automated Mobility’, the Commission mentions the off-board model for sharing “in-vehicle data on so-called extended vehicle data platform servers” which is currently already being “implemented by several vehicle manufacturers”.
ACEA agrees with the Commission that the right approach to data access must ensure “safety and cybersecurity, in full compliance with the […] protection of personal data.” Our industry is convinced that this can only be achieved if relevant vehicle data are communicated to an off-board facility, from where service providers can access the data. This approach minimises safety and security risks in a way which no other method of access to vehicle data can accomplish.
ACEA Secretary General, Erik Jonnaert, cautioned: “The safety of drivers and passengers is paramount to us. That is why we need to use this secure off-board model for data sharing.” Jonnaert: “Giving third-parties direct and uncontrolled access to data in a moving vehicle is an open door for hackers. How well would you sleep at night with your front door wide open?”
The automobile industry is also committed to making vehicle data available to all service providers under the same conditions. ACEA members are currently working with their partners to ensure that the off-board access model ensures fair and undistorted competition between service providers.
ACEA looks forward to maintaining an open dialogue with the European Commission and market players to further improve the off-board model and to address any remaining concerns.
Notes for editors
- Visit www.CarDataFacts.eu to learn more about sharing vehicle data in the most safe and secure way.
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) represents the 14 major Europe-based car, van, truck and bus makers: BMW Group, DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ferrari, Ford of Europe, Honda Motor Europe, Hyundai Motor Europe, Iveco Group, Jaguar Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Renault Group, Toyota Motor Europe, Volkswagen Group, and Volvo Group.
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/.
- Contact: Cara McLaughlin, Communications Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, +32 485 88 66 47.
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 13.0 million Europeans work in the automotive sector
- 11.5% of all manufacturing jobs in the EU
- €374.6 billion in tax revenue for European governments
- €101.9 billion trade surplus for the European Union
- Over 7% of EU GDP generated by the auto industry
- €59.1 billion in R&D spending annually, 31% of EU total