ACEA Membership: changes as of 1 July
1 July 2012 – Brussels. Due to the changes in ownership of the commercial vehicle manufacturers MAN Truck & Bus AG and Scania AB earlier this year, these companies will cease to be standalone members of ACEA as of 1 July 2012. ACEA will henceforth have 16 members.
The change comes from the takeover of both longstanding ACEA members by Volkswagen AG, the Wolfsburg-based vehicle manufacturer. Volkswagen increased its stake in both companies to a majority shareholding during 2011. Referring to the deal, Martin Winterkorn, Chief Executive Officer of Volkswagen AG said, “Together with the management and employees of MAN and Scania, we want to make the integrated commercial vehicles group a success for all customers and shareholders.”
It was agreed at the ACEA Board of Directors meeting in December 2011 that both MAN Truck & Bus AG and Scania AB would continue to be full members until 30 June 2012. As of 1 July, both companies will fall under Volkswagen’s single membership, as is consistent with previous changes in ACEA members’ ownerships. However, both MAN Truck & Bus AG and Scania AB will remain members of the Commercial Vehicle Board of Directors (CV-BOD).
Mr Ivan Hodac, Secretary General of ACEA said, “We look forward to continuing our work with our Scania and MAN colleagues as we look to sustaining competitive, high quality and innovative European automobile production”. Mr Hodac stressed the importance of the commercial vehicle wing of ACEA, which features many key members.
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) represents the 14 major Europe-based car, van, truck and bus makers: BMW Group, DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ferrari, Ford of Europe, Honda Motor Europe, Hyundai Motor Europe, Iveco Group, Jaguar Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Renault Group, Toyota Motor Europe, Volkswagen Group, and Volvo Group.
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/.
- Contact: Cara McLaughlin, Communications Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, +32 485 88 66 47.
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 13.0 million Europeans work in the automotive sector
- 11.5% of all manufacturing jobs in the EU
- €374.6 billion in tax revenue for European governments
- €79.5 billion trade surplus for the European Union
- Almost 8% of EU GDP generated by the auto industry
- €58.8 billion in R&D spending annually, 32% of EU total