ACEA Board elects Sergio Marchionne as President for 2012
Brussels, 2 December 2011 — The Board of Directors of the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) has elected Sergio Marchionne, Chief Executive Officer of Fiat S.p.A. as well as Chairman and CEO of Fiat Group Automobiles S.p.A., as the association’s President for 2012.
“The year 2012 will be challenging especially if the instability in the Eurozone would not be addressed,” said Marchionne. “Our association will further focus its work on three main issues: European industrial policy; sustainable mobility and transport; and international trade relations. These issues are all closely linked as the industry’s capacity to invest and innovate depends on a strong, competitive manufacturing base in Europe.”
Marchionne takes over from Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Board of Daimler AG and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars Division, who served as ACEA President in 2010 and 2011. “The European automotive industry is a major employer and invests over 30 billion EUR in R&D per year – more than any other industry in Europe”, added Zetsche. “The importance of our industry must be reflected in the Union’s economic, transport and trade policies.”
Notes for editors
Sergio Marchionne is CEO of Fiat S.p.A., Chairman and CEO of Fiat Group Automobiles S.p.A., Chairman and CEO of Chrysler Group LLC, as well as Chairman of Fiat Industrial S.p.A. and CNH Global N.V. Born in Chieti in 1952, he has dual Canadian and Italian citizenship. He holds a Bachelor of Arts with a major in Philosophy and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Toronto, as well as a Masters in Business Administration and a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Windsor (Canada). Mr Marchionne is a barrister, solicitor and chartered accountant. He has been a member of the Board of Fiat S.p.A. since May 2003 and was appointed Chief Executive Officer in June 2004. He became CEO of Chrysler Group LLC in June 2009, as well as Chairman in September 2011.
Find below the PDF version of this press release.
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) represents the 14 major Europe-based car, van, truck and bus makers: BMW Group, DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ferrari, Ford of Europe, Honda Motor Europe, Hyundai Motor Europe, Iveco Group, JLR, Mercedes-Benz, Renault Group, Toyota Motor Europe, Volkswagen Group, and Volvo Group.
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/.
- Cara McLaughlin, Communications Director, email@example.com, +32 485 88 66 47.
- Ben Kennard, Content Editor and Press Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, +32 487 39 21 82
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 13.0 million Europeans work in the automotive sector
- 11.5% of all manufacturing jobs in the EU
- €374.6 billion in tax revenue for European governments
- €101.9 billion trade surplus for the European Union
- Over 7% of EU GDP generated by the auto industry
- €59.1 billion in R&D spending annually, 31% of EU total