2015-2016 Automobile Industry Pocket Guide launched
Brussels, 16 June 2015 – The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association’s (ACEA) new Pocket Guide highlights the impact the automotive industry has on the European economy.
“This year’s Pocket Guide highlights the continuing importance of the automotive industry to the European economy,” said Erik Jonnaert, Secretary General of ACEA. “Its statistics show an industry that continues to provide employment and mobility, generate tax and trade revenue, and lead the world in terms of innovation.”
“Despite the economic challenges facing the industry, Europe is still a major producer of motor vehicles of all types.”
According to the latest figures, the EU produced 17.2 million motor vehicles in 2014, which is nearly a fifth of the world total.
New figures in this edition of the guide indicate that the industry supports 12.1 million jobs, underpinning communities across Europe. Of these, 2.3 million are directly involved in the manufacture of Europe’s cars, vans, buses and trucks – and representing nearly 10.4% of total manufacturing employment in the EU. The automobile industry is also a global player and a major exporter, with a €95.1 billion trade surplus.
In addition to figures on employment, trade, production and registrations, this new edition includes refreshed chapters and graphs, as well as updated and broadened statistics about auto industry innovation and environmental performance.
For instance, the latest data shows that the automobile and parts sector is the EU’s number one investor in R&D, with an annual spend of €41.5 billion.
“Auto manufacturing is a vital contributor to Europe’s industrial base, and it must be supported in order to ensure that its economic benefits continue to flow through the economy,” highlighted Mr Jonnaert.
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) represents the 14 major Europe-based car, van, truck and bus makers: BMW Group, DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ferrari, Ford of Europe, Honda Motor Europe, Hyundai Motor Europe, Iveco Group, Jaguar Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Renault Group, Toyota Motor Europe, Volkswagen Group, and Volvo Group.
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/.
- Contact: Cara McLaughlin, Communications Director, email@example.com, +32 485 88 66 47.
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 13.0 million Europeans work in the automotive sector
- 11.5% of all manufacturing jobs in the EU
- €374.6 billion in tax revenue for European governments
- €101.9 billion trade surplus for the European Union
- Over 7% of EU GDP generated by the auto industry
- €59.1 billion in R&D spending annually, 31% of EU total