Passenger car: registrations down 7.1% in November
Brussels, 15/12/2010 – In November, demand for new cars fell by 7.1% in the EU, amounting to 1,069,268 units
Brussels, 15/12/2010 – In November, demand for new cars fell by 7.1% in the EU, amounting to 1,069,268 units. From January to November, a total of 12,349,743 new cars were registered, or 5.7% less than over the same period last year.
In November, all major markets contracted, from -6.2% in Germany to -10.8% in France, -11.5% in the UK, -21.1% in Italy and -25.5% in Spain. The general downturn led to a 7.1% drop across the EU*, compared to last year when the month of November recorded the largest increase (+27.1%) of 2009, rebounding from the previous 25.7% plunge in November 2008.
From January to November, the UK (+3.4%) and Spain (+5.9%) performed better than in the same period a year ago. France (-2.4%), Italy (-8.2%) and Germany (-25.2%) contributed to the overall 5.7% downturn across the region. The largest expansion was noted in Ireland (+54.0%).
* EU27, data for Cyprus and Malta unavailable
NB: Commencing with the January 2010 new passenger car registrations figures, the ACEA data sheets will provide new vehicle registrations in alphabetical order for the countries of the European Union, and no longer separate for Western-Europe (15) and new EU Member States (10)*. Results for the EFTA countries will continue to be reported separately. The monthly press releases will quote the ‘EU’ figures first, followed by the ‘total Europe’ figures, adding up the EU and EFTA figures.
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) represents the 14 major Europe-based car, van, truck and bus makers: BMW Group, DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ferrari, Ford of Europe, Honda Motor Europe, Hyundai Motor Europe, Iveco Group, Jaguar Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Renault Group, Toyota Motor Europe, Volkswagen Group, and Volvo Group.
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/.
- Contact: Francesca Piazza, Senior Statistics Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 13.0 million Europeans work in the automotive sector
- 11.5% of all manufacturing jobs in the EU
- €374.6 billion in tax revenue for European governments
- €79.5 billion trade surplus for the European Union
- Almost 8% of EU GDP generated by the auto industry
- €58.8 billion in R&D spending annually, 32% of EU total