Passenger car: registrations down 1.3% over eight months
Brussels, 16/09/2011 – After declining by 2.0% in July, new EU* passenger car registrations increased by 7.7% in August, recording growth for the third time in the year Eight months into 2011 a total of 8 888 793 new cars were registered in the growth for the third time in the year
After declining by 2.0% in July, new EU* passenger car registrations increased by 7.7% in August, recording growth for the third time in the year.
Eight months into 2011, a total of 8,888,793 new cars were registered in the EU*, or 1.3% less than in the same period a year ago.
In July, the EU* recorded 1,012,910 new cars, which is 2% less than in July last year. Looking at the largest markets, only Germany posted growth (+9.9%), while Italy (-10.3%), France (-5.7%), Spain (-4.0%) and the UK (-3.5%) all saw their markets decline.
August results were positive when compared to August 2011 (+7.7%). New EU* registrations totaled 753,709 in the month. Most markets expanded, including all the bigger ones. Germany (+18.3%), the UK (+7.3%), Spain (+5.9%), France (+3.1%) and Italy (+1.5%) all performed better than last year.
From January to August, 8,888,793 new cars were registered in the EU, or 1.3% less than in the first eight months of 2011.The main markets showed a mixed picture: Germany posted a double-digit growth (+11.2%), France remained stable (+0.4%), the UK was down 6.1%, Italy contracted by 12.0% and Spain fell by 22.2%.
* EU27, data for Cyprus and Malta unavailable
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) represents the 14 major Europe-based car, van, truck and bus makers: BMW Group, DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ferrari, Ford of Europe, Honda Motor Europe, Hyundai Motor Europe, Iveco Group, JLR, Mercedes-Benz, Renault Group, Toyota Motor Europe, Volkswagen Group, and Volvo Group
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/
- Contact: Francesca Piazza, Senior Statistics Manager, email@example.com
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 12.9 million Europeans work in the automotive sector
- 8.3% of all manufacturing jobs in the EU
- €392.2 billion in tax revenue for European governments
- €101.9 billion trade surplus for the European Union
- Over 7% of EU GDP generated by the auto industry
- €59.1 billion in R&D spending annually, 31% of EU total