Passenger car registrations: +8.6% over eight months; +11.2% in August
Brussels, 15 September 2015 – In August 2015, demand for new passenger cars in the EU was up (+11.2%), reflecting the ongoing recovery in the market and pursuing the upward trend commenced two years ago
In August 2015, demand for new passenger cars in the EU was up (+11.2%), reflecting the ongoing recovery in the market and pursuing the upward trend commenced two years ago. August is typically one of the weakest months for registrations, together with February, however the month saw continued growth in all major markets. Registrations in Spain (+23.3%), Italy (+10.6%), France (+10.0%), the UK (+9.6%) and Germany (+6.2%) increased compared to August 2014. Across the region, new passenger car registrations totalled 744,799 units.
Over eight months in 2015, new passenger car registrations increased (+8.6%), surpassing 9 million units (9,056,539). All major markets posted growth, contributing to the overall upturn of the EU market over the period. Southern European countries in particular are enjoying strong growth, with Spain (+22.3%) and Italy (+15.0%) posting double-digit percentage gains, followed by the UK (+6.7%), France (+5.9%) and Germany (+5.6%).
* registration figures updated on 15 September at 12:25 to include revised Romanian data for August 2015.
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) represents the 14 major Europe-based car, van, truck and bus makers: BMW Group, DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ferrari, Ford of Europe, Honda Motor Europe, Hyundai Motor Europe, Iveco Group, Jaguar Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Renault Group, Toyota Motor Europe, Volkswagen Group, and Volvo Group.
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/.
- Contact: Francesca Piazza, Senior Statistics Manager, email@example.com.
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 13.0 million Europeans work in the automotive sector
- 11.5% of all manufacturing jobs in the EU
- €374.6 billion in tax revenue for European governments
- €79.5 billion trade surplus for the European Union
- Almost 8% of EU GDP generated by the auto industry
- €58.8 billion in R&D spending annually, 32% of EU total