Passenger car registrations: +8.2% first quarter of 2016; +6.0% in March
Brussels, 15 April 2016 – In March 2016, the EU passenger car market posted strong results again, marking the 31st consecutive month of growth. Registrations during the month grew (+6.0%) compared to March 2015, reaching more than 1.7 million units (1,700,683).
In March 2016, the EU passenger car market posted strong results again, marking the 31st consecutive month of growth. Registrations during the month grew (+6.0%) compared to March 2015, reaching more than 1.7 million units (1,700,683). In volume terms this result is close to March 2007 levels, just before the economic crisis hit the automotive industry. Among the major markets, Italy (+17.4%) recorded the strongest performance with a double-digit percentage gain, followed by France (+7.5%) and the UK (+5.3%). Spanish (-0.7%) and German (-0.04%) passenger car registrations remained stable. However, this year Easter fell in March, reducing the number of sales days, while it was April in 2015.
In the first quarter of 2016, new passenger car registrations increased by 8.2%, totalling 3,819,269 million units. All major markets posted growth, contributing to the overall upturn of the EU market. Italian (+20.8%) passenger car market posted double-digit growth over the period, followed by France (+8.2%), Spain (+6.9%), the UK (+5.1%) and Germany (+4.5%) which also grew during the first quarter of 2016, although at more modest rates.
* Data for Malta not available
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) represents the 14 major Europe-based car, van, truck and bus makers: BMW Group, DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ferrari, Ford of Europe, Honda Motor Europe, Hyundai Motor Europe, Iveco Group, Jaguar Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Renault Group, Toyota Motor Europe, Volkswagen Group, and Volvo Group.
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/.
- Contact: Francesca Piazza, Senior Statistics Manager, email@example.com.
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 13.0 million Europeans work in the automotive sector
- 11.5% of all manufacturing jobs in the EU
- €374.6 billion in tax revenue for European governments
- €101.9 billion trade surplus for the European Union
- Over 7% of EU GDP generated by the auto industry
- €59.1 billion in R&D spending annually, 31% of EU total