Passenger car registrations: -7.7% over five months; -8.7% in May
Brussels, 15/06/2012 – In May, demand for new passenger cars in the EU* was down (-8.7%) for the eighth consecutive month
Brussels, 15/06/2012 – In May, demand for new passenger cars in the EU* was down (-8.7%) for the eighth consecutive month. In total, 1,106,845 new cars were recorded in the region.. May 2012 counted on average one working day less than May 2011.
Five months into the year, new registrations amounted to 5,442,326 units, or 7.7% less than in the same period last year.
In May, most markets shrank, leading to an overall 8.7% downturn. The major ones faced contractions ranging from 4.8% in Germany to 8.2% in Spain, 14.3% in Italy and 16.2% in France. Only the UK posted growth (+7.9%).
From January to May, registrations slightly increased in two of the most significant markets, with the German stable at +0.3% and the British recording +2.6%. Elsewhere, demand dropped, by 7.3% in Spain, and more severely in France (-17.2%) and Italy (-18.9%) .
* EU27, data for Malta unavailable
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) represents the 14 major Europe-based car, van, truck and bus makers: BMW Group, DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ferrari, Ford of Europe, Honda Motor Europe, Hyundai Motor Europe, Iveco Group, Jaguar Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Renault Group, Toyota Motor Europe, Volkswagen Group, and Volvo Group.
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/.
- Contact: Francesca Piazza, Senior Statistics Manager, email@example.com.
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 13.0 million Europeans work in the automotive sector
- 11.5% of all manufacturing jobs in the EU
- €374.6 billion in tax revenue for European governments
- €79.5 billion trade surplus for the European Union
- Almost 8% of EU GDP generated by the auto industry
- €58.8 billion in R&D spending annually, 32% of EU total