Passenger car registrations: +6.0% over eight months; +2.1% in August
Brussels, 17 September 2014 – New passenger car registrations were up by 5.6% in July and by 2.1% in August, pursuing the upward trend commenced twelve months ago
New passenger car registrations were up by 5.6% in July and by 2.1% in August, pursuing the upward trend commenced twelve months ago. Eight months into the year, demand for new cars amounted to 8,336,159 units, or 6.0% more than in the same period last year.
In July, France was the only major market to shrink (-4.3%). Elsewhere, growth ranged from 5.5% in Italy, 6.6% in the UK, 6.8% in Germany and 11.1% in Spain, leading to a 5.6% upturn in the region. Overall, 1,041,683 new cars were registered in the month.
In August, upturn prevailed across significant markets, resulting in an overall 2.1% increase in the EU. France, Germany and Italy registered a slight decrease (-2.6%, -0.4% and -0.2% respectively), while the other major markets expanded, registering 13.7% more in Spain and 9.4% in the UK. The EU* totalled 669,395* new car registrations in the month of August.
From January to August, growth prevailed across major markets, reaching 1.6% in France, 2.6% in Germany, 3.5% in Italy, 10.1% in the UK and 16.4% in Spain. Overall, demand for new cars was 6.0% higher in the EU** than in the first eight months of last year.
* This figure was amended on 18/09/2014
** EU28, data for Malta unavailable
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) represents the 14 major Europe-based car, van, truck and bus makers: BMW Group, DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ferrari, Ford of Europe, Honda Motor Europe, Hyundai Motor Europe, Iveco Group, Jaguar Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Renault Group, Toyota Motor Europe, Volkswagen Group, and Volvo Group.
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/.
- Contact: Francesca Piazza, Senior Statistics Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 13.0 million Europeans work in the automotive sector
- 11.5% of all manufacturing jobs in the EU
- €374.6 billion in tax revenue for European governments
- €79.5 billion trade surplus for the European Union
- Almost 8% of EU GDP generated by the auto industry
- €58.8 billion in R&D spending annually, 32% of EU total