Passenger car registrations: -5.2% over eight months; -5.0% in August
Brussels, 17/09/2013 – After a 5.0% increase in July, new passenger car registrations declined by 5.0% in August
After a 5.0% increase in July, new passenger car registrations declined by 5.0% in August.
July counted on average one more working day across the EU, while August totaled one less.
Eight months into the year, demand for new cars amounted to 7,841,596 units, or 5.2% less than in the same period last year.
In July, Italy was the only major market to shrink (-1.6%), while growth reached +0.9% in France, +2.1% in Germany, +12.7% in the UK and +14.9% in Spain. In total, 982,544 new cars were registered in the EU, or 5.0% more than in July 2012.
In August, downturn prevailed across significant markets, resulting in an overall 5.0% decline in the EU. The UK was the only major market to expand (+10.9%), while the German contracted by 5.5%, the Italian by 6.6%, the French by 10.5% and the Spanish by 18.3%. The EU* totaled 653,872 new car registrations in the month of August.
From January to August, most major markets faced a downturn ranging from -3.6% in Spain to -6.6% in Germany, -9.0% in Italy and -9.8% in France. The UK was the only one to perform better than in the first eight months of 2012 (+10.44%). New registrations fell by 5.2% over the period this year, totaling 7,841,596 units, representing the lowest January to August level ever recorded**.
* EU27, data for Malta unavailable
** since the beginning of the series in 1990
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) represents the 14 major Europe-based car, van, truck and bus makers: BMW Group, DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ferrari, Ford of Europe, Honda Motor Europe, Hyundai Motor Europe, Iveco Group, JLR, Mercedes-Benz, Renault Group, Toyota Motor Europe, Volkswagen Group, and Volvo Group
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/
- Contact: Francesca Piazza, Senior Statistics Manager, email@example.com
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 12.9 million Europeans work in the automotive sector
- 8.3% of all manufacturing jobs in the EU
- €392.2 billion in tax revenue for European governments
- €101.9 billion trade surplus for the European Union
- Over 7% of EU GDP generated by the auto industry
- €59.1 billion in R&D spending annually, 31% of EU total