Fuel types of new cars: diesel -15.5%, petrol +19.8%, electric +43.8% in second quarter of 2018
Brussels, 6 September 2018 – In the second quarter of 2018, almost 57% of all new passenger cars in the EU ran on petrol, while diesel cars accounted for 36.3% of the market. All alternatively-powered vehicles (APV) combined accounted for 6.9% of the market. However only one out of every 60 cars sold across the EU during the second quarter of 2018 was electrically-chargeable.
Petrol and diesel cars
Diesel’s market share fell from 45.2% to 36.3% of total passenger car registrations compared to the same quarter one year ago. This drop was largely offset by an increase in demand for petrol cars (+19.8%), which now account for almost 57% of all new passenger cars sold in the EU – 7 percentage points more than in Q2 2017.
Alternatively-powered vehicles (APV)
In the second quarter of 2018, demand for alternatively-powered vehicles in the European Union grew significantly (+44.3%), mostly driven by hybrid (+49.2%) and battery electric (+45.5%) car sales. Overall, 72,168 electrically-chargeable cars were registered in the EU from April to June 2018, or 43.8% more than in the same period one year ago. Demand for LPG and NGV vehicles also increased strongly – up 35.2% in the second quarter of the year – mainly thanks to a notable uplift of natural gas-fuelled car registrations (+139.8%).
Among the five key EU markets, APV registrations saw the highest increases in Spain (+79.4%) and Germany (+72.1%). Demand for alternatively-powered vehicles also continued to post strong growth in France (+43.4%), the UK (+42.3%) and Italy (+20.7%).
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) represents the 14 major Europe-based car, van, truck and bus makers: BMW Group, DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ferrari, Ford of Europe, Honda Motor Europe, Hyundai Motor Europe, Iveco Group, JLR, Mercedes-Benz, Renault Group, Toyota Motor Europe, Volkswagen Group, and Volvo Group.
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/.
- Contact: Francesca Piazza, Senior Statistics Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 13.0 million Europeans work in the automotive sector
- 11.5% of all manufacturing jobs in the EU
- €374.6 billion in tax revenue for European governments
- €101.9 billion trade surplus for the European Union
- Over 7% of EU GDP generated by the auto industry
- €59.1 billion in R&D spending annually, 31% of EU total