Fuel types of new buses: electric 12.7%, diesel 67.3% market share full-year 2022
In 2022, diesel-powered buses remained the most popular in the EU, accounting for 67.3% of all new bus sales (down by 1.5 percentage points compared to 2021). Meanwhile, electrically-chargeable buses continued to gain ground, accounting for 12.7% of the total EU bus market, up from 10.6% in 2021. In total, all alternatively-powered vehicles made up 32.7% of the EU bus market last year.
Diesel and petrol buses
EU1 registrations of new diesel buses fell by 7.8% in 2022, to 18,500 units sold. However, buses running on diesel remained the most popular of all new buses, accounting for 67.3% of all new bus sales. Three out of the region’s four major markets recorded double-digit losses: Germany (-28.9%), France (-21.4%) and Italy (-21.4%). By contrast, Spain experienced a significant increase in new diesel bus registrations (+52.2%).
On the other hand, just three petrol-fuelled buses were sold across the whole region last year.
Alternatively-powered vehicles (APV)
In 2022, sales of new electrically-chargeable2 buses in the EU increased by 13.7% to reach 3,505 units, accounting for 12.7% of the total EU bus market. France – the largest market for this fuel type – saw an increase of 26.4%, contributing to the overall positive performance. Germany and Denmark – the second and third biggest markets in volume terms – also recorded strong growth (+10.1% and +79.5% respectively). Together with France, these three countries made up more than 50% of all electric buses registered in the EU.
By contrast, hybrid electric buses lost ground, with sales falling by 25.9% and market share shrinking from 10.3% in 2021 to 8.1% last year. This decline was mainly driven by the sharp drop recorded in Germany (-25.3%), which alone accounts for almost half of all hybrid electric buses registered in the EU.
In total, 11.9% of all new buses and coaches registered in 2022 ran on alternative fuels3, most of which were powered by natural gas. France – the largest market in this category – suffered a decline (-11.5%). However, Italy and Spain posted triple- and double-digit gains (+112.6% and +28.6% respectively). This resulted in an overall growth of 8.0%, with 3,262 units registered across the EU.
In 2022, diesel-powered buses accounted for 67.3% of all new bus sales (down by 1.5 percentage points compared to 2021). Meanwhile, electrically-chargeable buses continued to gain ground, accounting for 12.7% of the total EU bus market, up from 10.6% in 2021.
1 Data for Bulgaria and Malta not available
2 Includes full battery electric, fuel-cell electric, extended-range and plug-in hybrids vehicles
3 Includes natural gas, LPG, biofuels and ethanol vehicles
Reproduction of the content of this document is not permitted without the prior written consent of ACEA. Whenever reproduction is permitted, ACEA shall be referred to as source of the information. Quoting or referring to this document is permitted provided ACEA is referred to as the source of the information.
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) is the Brussels-based trade association of the 14 major car, van, truck and bus producers in Europe.
- The ACEA commercial vehicle members are DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ford Trucks, Iveco Group, MAN Truck & Bus, Scania, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, and Volvo Group.
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/.
- Contact: Francesca Piazza, Senior Statistics Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 13.0 million Europeans work in the automotive sector
- 11.5% of all manufacturing jobs in the EU
- €374.6 billion in tax revenue for European governments
- €101.9 billion trade surplus for the European Union
- Over 7% of EU GDP generated by the auto industry
- €59.1 billion in R&D spending annually, 31% of EU total