Fact sheet: vans
Largely used by SMEs as tools, vans power the European economy, helping businesses to thrive. Thanks to vans, businesses can deliver goods right to the door of their customers, who expect rapid and direct deliveries.
- There are more than 28 million vans on the EU’s roads today.
- The average age of the EU van fleet is 11.6 years and rising.
- 1.4 million vans were registered in the European Union in 2020, a decrease of 17.6% compared to the previous year.
- 423,792 vans were exported in 2020, worth more than €6 billion.
- 4.2% of new vans sold in the EU are alternatively-powered vehicles, but they account for only 1.9% of all vans on the road today.
- Vans represent more than 80% of sales (in units) in the commercial vehicle market (which also includes trucks, heavy trucks, buses and coaches).
Discover many other facts about the importance of vans in this ACEA fact sheet.