Fact sheet: vans
Largely used by SMEs as tools, vans power the European economy, helping businesses to thrive. Thanks to vans, businesses can deliver goods right to the door of their customers, who expect rapid and direct deliveries.
- There are nearly 29 million vans on EU’s roads today.
- The average age of the EU van fleet is 11.9 years and rising.
- 1.6 million vans were registered in the European Union in 2021, an increase of 8.5% compared to the previous year.
- 481,155 vans were exported in 2021, worth nearly €7 billion.
- 3.0% of new vans sold in the EU are electrically-powered vehicles, but they account for only 0.4% of all vans on the road today.
- Vans represent more than 83% of sales (in units) in the commercial vehicle market (which also includes trucks, heavy trucks, buses and coaches).
Discover many other facts about the importance of vans in this ACEA fact sheet.