Fact sheet: trucks
Not only are trucks the most flexible, responsive and economic mode of transport for the vast majority of goods and freight, they are also essential to the functioning of the larger, integrated European logistics and transport system.
- Today, there are some 6.2 million trucks in circulation throughout the EU.
- Trucks carry 73.1% of all freight transported over land in the European Union.
- In modern economies, 85% of road freight tonnage is carried over distances of 150km or less, along routes for which no other form of transport would be realistic.
- 159,190 trucks (over 5 tonnes) were exported worldwide in 2020, worth €5.7 billion.
- 50% of heavy trucks built in the United States now come from European-owned factories, based on European technology.
Discover many other facts about the importance of trucks in this ACEA fact sheet.