Fact sheet: cars
Almost 80% of inland journeys are made by car – be it private car, taxi or carsharing. Indeed, passenger cars are the number one source of mobility for Europeans, taking us some 12,000 kilometres on average per year.
- 246 million cars are on the road in the EU today, their average age is 11.8 years.
- The budgets of the EU member states receive €374.6 billion per year from the sale and use of passenger cars.
- 9.7 million passenger cars were registered in the EU in 2021, a decrease of 2.4% compared to the previous year.
- 5,078,894 European cars were exported worldwide in 2021, worth nearly €127 billion.
- 18% of new cars sold in the EU electrically-powered vehicles.
- Average new car emissions are 116.3g CO2/km, a 16.6% decrease since 2010.
Discover many other facts about the importance of cars in this ACEA fact sheet.