Fact sheet: cars
Over 70% of our journeys are made by car – be it private car, taxi or carsharing. Indeed, passenger cars are the number one source of mobility for Europeans, taking us some 12,000 kilometres on average per year.
- 243 million cars are on the road in the EU today, their average age is 11.5 years.
- The budgets of the EU member states receive €398.4 billion per year from the sale and use of passenger cars.
- 9.9 million passenger cars were registered in the EU in 2020, a decrease of 23.7% compared to the previous year.
- 5,189,538 European cars were exported worldwide in 2020, worth over €121 billion.
- 24.5% of new cars sold in the EU are alternatively-powered vehicles.
- Average new car emissions are108.2g CO2/km, a 22.4% decrease since 2010.
Discover many other facts about the importance of cars in this ACEA fact sheet.