Fact sheet: cars
For over a hundred years, the private car has transformed modern society by providing independence and freedom of mobility. Cars are our number one source of mobility, taking the average European almost 13,000 kilometres a year.
- Over 70% of journeys are made by car – be it private car, taxi or carsharing.
- There are 256 million passenger cars on Europe’s roads today.
- 24% of all cars produced around the world are built in Europe.
- 16.5 million passenger cars were made in the EU in 2016.
- Some 5.5 million European cars were exported worldwide last year, worth over €125 billion.
Discover many other facts and figures about the importance of cars in this fact sheet.