Fact sheet: buses
Buses are the most widely used means of public transport in the EU. Buses improve social inclusion, by providing access to education, employment, and healthcare – including the elderly, disabled, and the economically disadvantaged. Buses also have the lowest carbon footprint per passenger of any form of motorised transport.
Top five insights
- Buses account for well over half of EU public transport journeys
- Almost 13% of EU bus sales are electrically chargeable
- The average age of buses on EU roads is over 12.7 years
- There are 71 bus assembly plants in Europe
- There are more than 714,000 buses on EU roads today
Get the bigger picture on buses in our fact sheet below.