Commercial vehicle registrations up 13.5% in first half-year
Brussels, 26/07/2011 – Demand for new commercial vehicles were up 1.5% in June, compared to the same month a year ago
Brussels, 26/07/2011 – Demand for new commercial vehicles were up 1.5%** in June, compared to the same month a year ago. In total, 165,767 new vehicles were recorded** in the EU*. While the UK (+12.8%) and Germany (+8.7%) posted growth, Spain (-12.7%) and France (-6.8%) performed less well. In the first semester of 2011, registrations of new commercial vehicles amounted to 1,001,579 units, or 13.5% more than in the first half-year of 2010**. Spain was the only major market to decline (-8.4%) while France (+8.5%), the UK (+23.8%) and Germany (+24.5%) all saw their markets expanded.
New Light Commercial Vehicles up to 3.5t – “vans”
In June, a total of 136,888 new vans** were registered in the EU*, or 1.3% less** than in the same month last year. Results were diverse across major markets as France (-10.3%) and Spain (-15.2%) faced a downturn, while Germany (+8.7%) and the UK (+13.5%) posted growth. In the first half-year, most vans were registered in France (222,722 units). The UK (133,238 units) and Germany (110,306 units) were the next most significant markets. All three expanded by 5.1%, 24.2% and 19.9% respectively. Spain was the only major market to contract (13.3%). Overall, the EU* recorded 826,268 new vans or 9.4% more than in the first six months of 2010.
New Heavy Commercial Vehicles over 16t (excluding Buses & Coaches) – “heavy trucks”
New registrations of heavy trucks in June amounted to 19,528 units** across the EU*, or 30.5% more** than in June last year. All major markets posted growth, ranging from +12.2% in Germany to +17.3% in Spain, +34.2% in the UK and 41.9% in France. From January to June, the EU* recorded 119,745 new heavy trucks**, or 55.9% more than in the same period a year earlier. Registrations were up in all markets, except Greece (-53.0%), increasing by 37.2% in Spain, 42.8% in Germany, 62.3% in France and 64.0% in the UK.
New Commercial Vehicles over 3.5t (excluding Buses & Coaches) – “trucks”
June results in the segment of trucks showed a 21.3% upturn**, with a total of 26,187 new vehicles registered** in the EU*. Germany (+9.8%), Spain (+14.4%), the UK (+18.1%) and France (+35.4%) all posted growth. Six months into the year, all significant markets expanded, leading to an overall 43.6% increase** of new truck registrations in the region*. France saw its demand for new trucks rise by 52.2%, Germany by 38.1%, the UK by 36.4% and Spain by 35.9%. In total, 158,947 new vehicles were recorded** in the EU*.
New Buses & Coaches over 3.5t
New bus and coach registrations were down14.3%** in June, totaling 2,692 units**. France was the only important market which slightly expanded (+0.7%) as the Spanish (-9.4%), German (-14.0%) and British (-30.6%) all declined. In the first six months of the year, EU markets performed diversely, resulting in an overall 2.4% contraction with a total of 16,364 new registrations**. While demand for new buses and coaches was up 3.6% in Germany and rose by 41.6% in Spain, it slipped by 2.1% in France and fell by 30.4% in the UK.
* Data for Cyprus and Malta are unavailable ** Due to the unavailability of data from Italy since January 2011, figures reported for that country are an extrapolation made by data provider AAA. They are not actual market figures, hence the possibility of an error margin with regard to the EU totals. Italy usually accounts for 10 to 15% of the EU Commercial Vehicle market.
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) is the Brussels-based trade association of the 14 major car, van, truck and bus producers in Europe.
- The ACEA commercial vehicle members are DAF Trucks, Daimler Truck, Ford Trucks, Iveco Group, MAN Truck & Bus, Scania, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, and Volvo Group.
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/.
- Contact: Francesca Piazza, Senior Statistics Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 13.0 million Europeans work in the automotive sector
- 11.5% of all manufacturing jobs in the EU
- €374.6 billion in tax revenue for European governments
- €101.9 billion trade surplus for the European Union
- Over 7% of EU GDP generated by the auto industry
- €59.1 billion in R&D spending annually, 31% of EU total