Commercial vehicle registrations: +36.9% first half of 2021; +12.4% in June
Brussels, 28 July 2021 – In June 2021, commercial vehicle registrations in the EU markets increased by 12.4% year-on-year to 185,573 units.
Total new commercial vehicles
In June 2021, commercial vehicle registrations in the EU markets increased by 12.4% year-on-year to 185,573 units. All vehicle segments made a positive contribution to last month’s growth. Demand was largely driven by Central European countries (+43.4%), while only two of the four key Western European markets showed positive results: Germany (+28.5%) and Italy (+5.3%).
During the first half of the year, EU commercial vehicle registrations went up by 36.9% to 1 million units, reflecting the contribution of the big gains recorded between March and May. Most of the region’s markets posted double-digit percentage gains, including the four largest ones: Italy (+53.7%), Spain (+38.4%), France (+36.4%) and Germany (+21.7%).
New light commercial vehicles (LCV) up to 3.5t
Registrations of new vans across the EU grew again by 9.6% in June, although at a more modest rate than previous months. Germany saw the highest growth of the region’s four largest markets (+28.2%), followed by Italy (+1.5%). On the other hand, registrations fell in France (-10.0%) and Spain (-4.9%) last month.
From January to June, sales of new light commercial vehicles in the EU went up by 38.1% to 856,926 units, benefiting from the positive performance of recent months. This trend is reflected at a country level, with the four biggest markets in the region all recording double-digit growth: Italy (+55.8%), Spain (+39.9%), France (+38.7%) and Germany (+23.0%).
New heavy commercial vehicles (HCV) of 16t and over
In June 2021, demand for new heavy trucks continued to expand (+37.1%), totalling 21,828 units registered across the European Union. Three of the four major markets posted solid gains last month – Italy (+48.8%), Germany (+30.8%) and Spain (+26.8%) – while sales in France slightly declined (-2.1%) compared to June 2020.
Six months into 2021, new heavy trucks sold in the EU went up by 39.3% to reach 128,333 units. All the major markets consolidated their positive results during this period: Italy (+51.7%), Spain (+42.9%), Germany (+23.2%) and France (+19.2%).
New medium and heavy commercial vehicles (MHCV) over 3.5t
In June, the truck segment also had a very positive performance, with demand up 33.1% to 26,512 units registered in the EU. With the exception of France (-2.3%), all major markets largely contributed to last month’s growth: Italy (+41.7%), Germany (+29.9%) and Spain (+17.7%).
Throughout the first half of 2021, the EU market for medium and heavy commercial vehicles expanded by 34.1%, with 154,387 units sold in total. Italy saw the highest percentage growth of the EU major markets (+47.6%), followed by Spain (+32.5%), France (+20.3%) and Germany (+19.4%).
New medium and heavy buses & coaches (MHBC) over 3.5t
June registrations of new buses and coaches in the European Union were 9.4% higher than in the same month last year. Germany (+24.0%), Italy (+23.2%) and Spain (+18.1%) all recorded significant gains last month, while France was the only major market to post a decline (-14.1%).
So far in 2021, the EU bus and coach segment increased by 3.2% to 12,887 units. On the back of June’s positive performance, declines for the first half of the year were less significant in both Spain (-13.5%) and Germany (-0.04%) compared to the January-May period. On the other hand, demand remained positive in Italy and France (+6.0% and +4.7% respectively).
- The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) is the Brussels-based trade association of the 15 major car, van, truck and bus producers in Europe.
- The ACEA commercial vehicle members are DAF Trucks, Daimler Trucks, Ford Trucks, IVECO, MAN Truck & Bus, Scania, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, and Volvo Group.
- Visit www.acea.auto for more information about ACEA, and follow us on www.twitter.com/ACEA_auto or www.linkedin.com/company/ACEA/.
- Contact: Francesca Piazza, Statistics Manager, email@example.com.
Interested in ACEA press releases?
Receive them directly in your inbox!
About the EU automobile industry
- 14.6 million Europeans work in the auto industry (directly and indirectly), accounting for 6.7% of all EU jobs.
- 11.5% of EU manufacturing jobs – some 3.7 million – are in the automotive sector.
- Motor vehicles are responsible for €398.4 billion of tax revenue for governments across key European markets.
- The automobile industry generates a trade surplus of €74 billion for the EU.
- The turnover generated by the auto industry represents more than 8% of the EU’s GDP.
- Investing €62 billion in R&D annually, the automotive sector is Europe’s largest private contributor to innovation, accounting for 33% of total EU spending.